Hiking Masterlist & Project Reflections

Over the course of the past 9 weeks, I completed 9 hikes for this inquiry project!

If I had to pick a favourite hike from this list, I would choose Mary Vine Creek Falls, because the waterfall there was absolutely stunning and well worth the short, mostly flat hike out to see it. My least favourite hike from this list would have to be Mount Tzouhalem. I may be biased because the day I went there was extremely heavy rain and my dad and I got absolutely soaked. The last little bit before the top was also very steep! And we could not appreciate the view because of the heavy fog.

Here is the complete breakdown of all the hikes I completed for this inquiry project. Click on any of the hiking locations for a more in detail review of the hike.

Name of Hike Length (in kilometers) Elevation (in meters) Difficulty Hiking Partner Snack
Lone Tree Hill 2.5km 132m Moderate My dad Chocolate Chip Brownie Larabar
Broom Hill via Ogre Loop 3.14km 83m Moderate Hannah & Jill x
John Dean Provincial Park 6.18km 198m Easy/Moderate My dad 2 Turkey Pepperoni Sticks & 1 Babybel Cheese
Mount Tzouhalem 5.6km 227m Moderate/Hard My dad x
Mount Douglas/PKOLS 4.71km 126m Easy My dad x
Old Baldy Mountain 3.14km 193m Hard My dad White Chocolate Macademia Nut Cliff Bar
 Royal Roads University 3.36km 66m Easy My mom, my grandfather and my dog, Grizzly x
 Uplands Park 4km 28m Easy My dad x
Mary Vine Creek Falls 2.2km 56m Easy Hannah & my dog, Grizzly x

For those who may be interested, here is my 2020 in hiking statistics:

As you can see, the distance that I hike each month has gone down since I started my PDPP semester in September. Quarantine gave me a lot of time to hike! I’m appreciative for this inquiry project because it forced me to keep hiking, at least a little bit. In addition, it helped me encourage myself to discover new hikes. 5 out of the 9 hikes from this project were ones that I had never done before in my life (Lone Tree Hill, Broom Hill via Ogre Loop, Mount Tzouhalem, Old Baldy Mountain and Mary Vine Creek Falls).

Lastly, I do think hiking helped me relax during this busy semester. There were some weeks when it was tempting to do school work right through the weekend with no break whatsoever. My hikes usually fell on a Sunday. I found myself looking forward to them and they became a welcome hour or so of physical activity, social interaction and time in nature for me each week. I’m glad I chose this inquiry project and I hope that I will continue to find the time next semester to go on weekend hikes with my loved ones.

Photo by Ali Kazal from Unsplash.

← Previous Post

Next Post →

1. Thank-you for this wonderful list of local hikes, and your helpful reviews.